Perfect Paddles Recommended Course
Upgrade your membership to save $10% on on this course
Rob Casey is a highly experienced SUP instructor guide started PSUPA instructor certifications, Kayak and SUP guides, and is an award winning Getty Images photographer. We are super stoked to offer his online courses! Rob is generously offering our members a Buddy Deals discount as well.
Waves from fast moving freighters and tugs on Puget Sound can throw off 3' to 6' high waves on specific beaches and offshore - sometimes for long epic rides!
Get this Puget Sound Surfing Guide and find out how to surf these waves, where to be and when to be there.
Learn Surfer's Etiquette and Boating Right of Way
Learn how to stay safe, out of the news and get good vibes from other surfers.
Learn which Craft are Best
Find out which craft are best for different types of waves from kayak, surf ski and sup to canoe and boogie board!
Find Your Own Surf Break
Learn how to find your own surf breaks or boat surf opportunity no one is surfing.
Tidal, Tug and Ferry Waves
Also find out how and where to surf other types of waves from ferries, tugs, tidal rapids - tidal waves and recreational boats.
Learn where to downwind safely on the Sound and popular runs near Seattle.
Surf Spot Maps
The Manual includes Surf Maps for South, Middle and North Puget Sound with detailed descriptions for each spot.
Get Additional Resources
Wind and ship traffic apps, marine weather forecasting and more..
Freighter and Tug Waves Featured in: The Inertia, Seattle Times, Essentia Water ad campaign, Men's Journal, SUP Magazine, Stand Up Journal, Seattlle Magazine and Evening Magazine.
- When and where to catch freighter waves
- When and where to catch tug waves
- Tips for surfing power boat waves
- Where to surf Tidal Rapids in Deception Pass
- How to surf wind waves and find beach breaks from wind
- Ship tracking and weather / tide apps I use
- Best water craft for surfing inland waves
- Map of inland surfing locations
- Bonus additional Resources
- 100% off voucher for taking my freighter or tug wave classes.
Why Not Just Go Find My Own Waves for Free?
All these waves take time to figure out from boat schedules, where to be, tide levels, wind or current directions, which board is best..
I'm saving you a ton of time with detailed directions of where to go, when to be there, which boat to track and more!
Also find out about standing and progressive waves powered by tidal currents in Deception Pass.
Who Should Surf These Waves?
With a variety of Puget Sound waves to choose from from tugs, freighters, wind, motor boats and tidal rapids, there's plenty of options for surf boards, SUPs, kayaks, surf skis, outriggers and body boards.
Why Surf Inland Waves vs the Coast?
I surf both! But Puget Sound waves give you a chance to surf more often and stay in surfing shape if you can't get to the coast regularly.
Some boats put off epic waves which sometimes are better than small or bad days on the Strait.
Options like Deception Pass and high wind downwinding gives you options 5 minutes from your home whether on the Sound or a bigger lake.
What's the Season for Freighter Waves?
Freighter waves vary per the beach you'll be surfing. My local and favorite breaks in Seattle require low tides which are Spring through late Summer.
Some breaks do better at high tides which can work all year.
High wind beach breaks and/or downwinding are often best Fall-Winter for the big storms. Deception Pass goes all year.
Surfer's Etiquette and Boating Right of Way
- Surfer's Etiquette - Read before Surfing
- Boating Right of Way - Read before Surfing
Puget Sound Surf Essential Tips
- Recommended Paddling / Surfing Equipment
- Surfing Technique To Catch More Waves
Puget Sound Surf & Wave Finder Maps
- North Puget Sound
- Seattle Area and Surrounds
- Mid Puget Sound / South Seattle to Tacoma
- South Puget Sound
- British Columbia Tidal Surfing
- Freighter Wave Surfing in Puget Sound
- Freighter & Puget Sound Surfing Resources
- Puget Sound Freighter Wave Locations
- Finding your own Freighter Wave Spots
Wind Generated Surf & Downwinding
- Downwinding Puget Sound
- Wind Generated Beach Break Surf
Tug Surfing & Boat Wake Surfing
- Tug Surfing Seattle
- Boat Wake Surfing
- Deception Pass Standing Waves
- Tidal Current Wave & Play Spots
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.